The End Child Poverty California Campaign is sponsored by GRACE (Gather, Respect, Advocate, Change, Engage) and the End Child Poverty Institute to end extreme child poverty and reduce overall child poverty in California. In close partnership with the Dolores Huerta Foundation–and with your help–we are working to increase support and community engagement across the state. Together with our partners, we’ll address California’s highest-in-the-nation child poverty rate by implementing simple solutions to a complex issue. Not a partner? Become one! Learn more about partnership here.
As we work together to get the End Child Poverty Plan passed in full and end extreme child poverty, we commit to these core beliefs:
- ALL children deserve to be healthy, fed, and housed.
- Families know what they need to become stable. We can help make sure they have what they need.
- Ending extreme child poverty in our state is not a pipe dream—it’s a matter of political will.
- With moral and political leadership, we can remove obstacles that block a family’s path to financial stability and independence.
With your support in 2020 we can:
- Get families who are working hard to survive the money they need so they don’t have to choose between having a place to live, keeping the lights on, putting gas in the car, or paying for child care.
- Increase overall housing availability and reduce evictions so that children don’t face the trauma and stress of homelessness.
- Improve access to childcare and make sure childcare workers can afford to send their own children to preschool or daycare.
- Strengthen and expand community-based and school-based health care clinics to meet families where they are so they can get the care they need.
- Continue to improve the cost-effectiveness of programs that support families, focusing on collaborative community- and research-based solutions.
Let’s get the End Child Poverty Plan passed in FULL in 2020!
Engagement Tools for Your Network
- Petition Drive & Emails: We’re gathering 50,000 signatures in person and online, and sending emails to our diverse networks to let them know about the #EndChildPovertyCA movement and how to get involved
- Resolutions: We’re getting resolutions in support of the End Child Poverty CA movement passed across California by organizations big and small
- Letters of Support: We’re gathering letters of support from organizations across the state
As you engage, take photos and tag us (@endchildpovca) on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook so we can share the love and amplify your work!
1. Petition Drive & Emails
We’re gathering 50,000 signatures on the End Child Poverty CA 2020 petition to present to our leaders in April, and sending emails to our diverse networks to encourage them to sign the petition and get involved. The petition is a simple, effective engagement tool that motivates people–everyday Californians, elected leaders, email subscribers–to act. The 2020 petition outlines our End Child Poverty Plan goals in 2020, and generates attention and momentum to get the plan passed.
Collecting Signatures Online
Sending an email with a clear, urgent tone is one of the most effective tools to get petition signatures. Download and customize the email below. Use your organization’s email list and your contacts to ask people to sign on. A quick ICYMI (in case you missed it) email a few days later to remind people is also helpful.
IMPORTANT: When you send your email, copy Evelyn (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Carlo (email@example.com) so we can offer additional help and support as you share.
Share this text on your Twitter feed:
SIGN THE PETITION: ALL our kids deserve to be healthy, fed & housed. We’re helping launch the #EndChildPovertyCA 2020 campaign. Join the team & sign the petition to our leaders: Let’s #PassThePlan and end extreme child poverty in our state! https://ctt.ec/L83e0+ @EndChildPovCA
Facebook and LinkedIn
Share this text on your Facebook and/or LinkedIn feeds:
SIGN THE PETITION: ALL our kids deserve to be healthy, fed & housed. We trust families know best how to lift themselves out of poverty, so let’s get them the tools they need. We’re partnering to launch the #EndChildPovertyCA 2020 organizing campaign. Join the team and sign the petition to our leaders: Let’s #PassThePlan and end extreme child poverty in our state! https://ctt.ec/L83e0+
Share this image on your Instagram feed with the text below, and temporarily replace your profile URL link with the link below. The photo shows a passionate group of advocates from SHIELDS for Families at our L.A. organizing launch on Feb. 21, 2020.
SIGN THE PETITION: ALL our kids deserve to be healthy, fed & housed. We trust families know best how to lift themselves out of poverty, so let’s get them the tools they need. We’re partnering to launch the #EndChildPovertyCA 2020 organizing campaign with @endchildpovca. Join the team and sign the petition to our leaders: Let’s #PassThePlan and end extreme child poverty in our state! *Link in bio*
- Link to temporarily put in the URL slot on your Instagram profile: endchildpovertyca.org/sign-the-petition-2020/
Collecting Signatures In Person
Petitions are most effective when they exist online and offline so you can constantly collect signatures no matter where you are. Use these printable tools to get physical sign-ons at community events, rallies, classes, coalition meetings and by knocking on doors (canvassing). All you need are hard copies of the petition materials and pens.
You’ll also want to be familiar with and have a list of the End Child Poverty California 2020 priorities handy for questions.
Then work with Carlo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to get the information delivered back to End Child Poverty California. If you’d like to have your organization’s logo added to a printable petition card, email Evelyn (email@example.com), and we can deliver you a custom PDF.
Printable Door Hanger
The door hanger is a great leave-behind item that can be used at apartment complexes, in neighborhoods, and as a print-out to carry to get people to sign online. It has the web link printed on it, and a QR code. The QR code allows people to scan the code with their phone (simply the phone camera on iPhones) to go directly to the petition sign-on page.
2. Local Resolutions
We’re getting resolutions in support of the End Child Poverty CA movement passed across California by organizations big and small. Local resolutions educate communities, grow the coalition, and build momentum to pass the End Child Poverty Plan in full. Work with Carlo (firstname.lastname@example.org) to achieve getting a local resolution passed in your community by a school board, city council, or other body.
3. Letters of Support