The End Child Poverty Bus Tour: May 17 – 20, 2019
Child poverty is a moral crisis, a public health crisis, and a state fiscal crisis. Together, we’re making sure California doesn’t push this crisis off to another day.
Watch the End Child Poverty Bus Tour video:
Before the state budget was finalized in June 2019, we gathered thousands of parents, children, and youth – and our partners and leaders from communities across California – for the End Child Poverty Bus Tour to demand action on our child poverty crisis. California has more children living in poverty than any other state. One in five California children lives in poverty. That’s almost 2 million children—with 450,000 of those children living in families trying to survive on less than $12,900 per year. But California also has a comprehensive plan to end deep child poverty.
Because of the bus tour and all of our work together, California’s 2019-2020 state budget is investing almost $5 billion toward the End Child Poverty Plan.
End Child Poverty Bus Tour 2019 Stops
Friday, May 17
- Chula Vista | 9:15-10:30 am: Kick-Off Rally & Press Availability at Castle Park High School, 1395 Hilltop Drive, Chula Vista, CA, 91911, Organized by South Bay Community Services
- Los Angeles | 1:30-2:30 pm: Community Meeting & Press Availability at St. John’s Well Child and Family Center, 808 West 58th Street, Los Angeles, CA, with Sen. Holly Mitchell & Asm. Autumn Burke, Organized by St. John’s Well Child and Family Center
- Pomona | 5:00-5:45 pm: Community Event, Taco Line, & Press Availability at Ganesha Park, Pomona, CA 91768, with Sen. Connie Leyva, Organized by Sen. Connie Leyva’s Office
Saturday, May 18
- Weedpatch | 9:15-10:30 am: Community Meeting & Press Availability at Sunset School, 8301 Sunset Boulevard, Weedpatch, CA, 93307, Organized by the Dolores Huerta Foundation
- Fresno | 12:45-2:15 pm: Community BBQ & Press Availability at the Sunset Community Center, 1345 W. Eden Avenue, Fresno, CA, 93706, with Sen. Melissa Hurtado and Senator Anna Caballero, Organized by Fresno EOC & Fresno EOC Street Saints
- Salinas | 5:00-6:00 pm: Community Meeting & Press Availability at National Steinbeck Center, 1 Main Street, Salinas, CA, 93901, with Sen. Anna Caballero, Organized by Sen. Anna Caballero’s Office
Sunday, May 19
- Oakland | 12:15-1:30 pm: Community Meeting & Press Availability at
Saint Mary’s Center, 925 Brockhurst Street at San Pablo Avenue, Oakland, CA 94608, with Sen. Nancy Skinner, Organized by Sen. Nancy Skinner’s Office
Monday, May 20
- Sacramento | 9:15-10:00 am: Closing Rally & Press Availability at the Capitol Steps, 1315 10th Street, Sacramento, CA, 95814, with Dolores Huerta & Legislators
The End Child Poverty Plan
The End Child Poverty Plan will eliminate deep child poverty in four years and cut overall child poverty in half in 10-20 years by investing in programs that support families. Over 30 bills representing the plan are moving through the Legislature right now.
Our voices and energy will ensure the plan gets passed. Now is the time to act.